In late 1950 a public meeting formed the Lae Golf Club. The present site had been selected for the course after an alternative, in the Butibum Terrace area, was deemed unsuitable. The site chosen had been part of an agricultural lease before World War II and during it US troops had used the area as an ordnance depot and vehicle park.
Six holes were initially laid out with the first tee roughly where the 8th tee now stands. The club was officially opened by the first President, Sir Horrie Niall (deceased), in October 1951. Club Captain, Clare Jeffers (deceased), stepped up to play the first shot—but it was an air swing! The original sand greens remained for two years until Goroka Couch was introduced at the same time as the course was extended to ninie holes. The nine holes were roughly today’s front nine.
In 1962 three further fairways were constructed and two years later a start made on the remaining six to make it the first 18 Hole course in the Territory of Papua New Guinea.
Lae Golf Club became incorporated in December 1973. In more recent years the course has undergone significant changes with the addition of nearly 50 bunkers and the growth of many trees on the course, making it a more challenging test of golf.
In 2001, the club celebrated its 50th anniversary with a gala event. Mr James Birrell, a foundation member was guest of honour as the club replayed the first competition - a Canadian Foursomes, and played host to a gala ball.
The course is the home of the Morobe Open Professional Tournament, with Coca Cola as the current naming sponsor.
Lae Golf Club maintains is reputation as the premier course and facility in Papua New Guinea to this day.